I’ve said it many times before, PARENTING IS HARD. Very hard. The hardest job in the world. It is physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting- especially in Western(ized) societies where parents do not have the support of the ‘village’. This forced, prolonged self-reliance most often leads to chronic stress, overwhelm and a feeling of not enough, maybe even a failure.
Today, I want to remind you that You Are a Hero. Every single day, for the past 360 + days (2022 alone), you:
- dropped off and picked up the kids;
- planned activities, playdates and birthday parties;
- got stuck in traffic endless hours;
- helped your child with homework;
- packed lunches;
- cleaned the house;
- did laundry;
- went to work;
- took (some) care of yourself;
- played and laughed and got silly with your kids;
- listened to your child’s crying, disappointment, and frustrations;
- cheered for your child when he/she believed less in themselves;
- lost nights of sleep to keep an eye on your sick child;
- were late to work, or maybe you took your child to work because there was nobody to help.
Parents are the unsung heroes of modern times, but I see you and your child knows. Please take a moment today to celebrate yourself and the beautiful relationship you have with your child.
Journaling or writing a letter to yourself acknowledging your parenting work in 2022 are very rewarding exercises. You can do this alone or with your partner (the other parent) – if you find it appropriate.
Write to me on Facebook or Instagram, I want to hear from you:
- What was the hardest thing for you in 2022?
- What are you most proud of in 2022?
- What did you learn in 2022?
- If 2022 were a word, what would your word be?